WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

UPDATES...

I promised updates. Here they are. One of the good self-management aspects of doing a regular blog is it forces one to reflect–in this case, weekly–on what one has actually accomplished. A musical instance of the late President Lyndon Johnson's famous retort: "Yes, but what have you done for me LATELY?"

NEW SONG: Well, maybe. It's a collaboration: one of those instances where I contacted somebody who had lyrics, and offered to try to put ‘em to music. In this instance, though, the music kinda took over, and the words got somewhat re-worked. I sent the track to the author, but she hasn't responded yet (she may be waiting to see what the 3-4 other people working on the song came up with). I liked the result I came up with–but it's her call. Her words (even if I did change ‘em a little). Song is basically a goodbye to a friend who's dying. So the music is fairly Gospel-sounding. But upbeat. (Songs about death should always be upbeat.)

BLUES PROJECT: Another multi-musician instrumental, this time with lyrics written and sung by me. My part's done, except for introducing the lead musicians. It's called "There's a Bone in My Soup," after "Soupbone," the fellow who started this train of blues collaborations (and then disappeared).

THE PLAY: Leading role–as a dog–in the Country Rose radio play "The Wedding." Again, something different. One sideline benefit is the Country Rose Show online is playing my song, "Jim the Psychic Dog" (off the first CD)–and it wasn't part of the show. Just carrying on the Dog Theme, I guess.

A MUSICAL TRACK: Again, maybe–just happened today, and I have no feedback yet. I volunteered to play guitar on an instrumental a fellow online had written (he only plays piano). Gave him a simple lead, too.

MUSIC IN THE NEW PLACE: On the visit to Phoenix, Oregon, to tie up a place to live for the New Job, I got to play with a passel of musicians (Southern Oregon is reportedly a hotbed of culture that includes music) that includes another city manager and the owner of a local books-and-music store. Supposedly, they're trying to put together a band. Got to play a few of my songs (and got to play lead on some of theirs). Two of the group have the "Santa's Fallen" CD. New job starts 4 June.

And finally, a couple of odd contacts. One wanting to know where I'm playing (because they apparently want to drive a hundred miles or so to see me). And one interested in covering my song "Rotten Candy"–right on the heels of (but not related to) the rejection of the song by the American Idol song contest.

All in all, not a bad week.

Joe

No comments: