WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

PUBLISHER AND 'PUTER...

Found a music publisher. It’s Bobbie Gallup, co-writer of “Dead Things in the Shower”; she and her late husband had Gallup ‘n’ Dawg Music in Nashville. We’ll do the “Dirty Deeds” album street legal here (for a change), and see if we can’t use the new-found legitimacy to get some radio play.

I should say a word or two about the computer. “Alice” is a big, fast machine built for me three years ago, that’s set up primarily for graphic design work. Because the graphic-design software I use is old (it was expensive), Alice has Windows 98. When her printer quit this weekend (after 3 years), I found it about impossible to find a replacement. Nobody makes anything that works with Windows 98 any more.

Local computer geek showed me a trick for making the Windows 98 software work on Windows XP, so that’s probably how I’ll go. I can quadruple Alice’s RAM (and she’s already fast), so I’ll do that first. Looks like that’s where this paycheck’s gonna go.

Current to-do’s: Talk to Johnny B. about recording the “Dirty Deeds Done to Sheep” album with his band—and find out if I can rope other musicians (from the Songwriters’ Association, say) in for some of the tracks—I really want dual “whiny” and “non-whiny” leads where I can get ‘em. Talk to Dan Doshier about playing opportunities this and next weekend, when I’ll be in town. Now that I have dependable Internet again, re-establish contact with other writers’ sites that got lost in the cracks with Alice’s stay in the ‘puter hospital and the Dang Wireless that didn’t work half the time. And record “Dirty Deeds We Done to Sheep.” It’s time.

Joe

No comments: