WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

CHRISTMAS (SORT OF) THOUGHTS...

AS THE OLD YEAR ENDS…

I am not a Party Person. My idea of a good time on New Year’s Eve is to be playing on stage somewhere with a band. This New Year’s Eve, I’ll be ensconced in a new town (well, six months old), being a bachelor, and while I know some musicians, I don’t know them well, or they me. There’s probably only a handful that know I can do something besides write. (Then again, they might be right. I may NOT be able to do anything besides write.)

Figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask, though, so I did. And yes, Johnny B. is thinking about having a private party New Year’s Eve at his tavern, and most of the people he knows are musicians, and yes, I’m invited. So yet another piece falls into making this place feel like home.

THE BENEFIT: I think this’ll happen, too. It’ll tentatively be around the end of January—Laura’s daughter gets out of the hospital (also tentatively) Jan. 4. One of the girls in the office will handle the food, another the fundraising; I’ll do the music and advertising. Time to tap the musicians.

UPCOMING: I’ll be one of the acts at the Southern Oregon Songwriters’ “quartet” showcase at Johnny B.’s in Medford, 3rd Friday in January. Not sure who else is on the agenda, but it’d be fun to set it up with a band. Next practice with Screamin’ Gulch is the Wednesday after New Year’s, Jan. 2.

THE BAND: The National Steel player brought his recording equipment last Wednesday, and recorded Screamin’ Gulch’s practice at the tavern. It is good equipment (love those vintage-looking modern mikes); we’ll see how well he uses it (he said he hadn’t had much practice). That’s another option for recording the album—record a live performance in the live venue instead of the studio. Had an audience again—and yes, one of the girls from last week was back, and brought her dad. Building a fan base one person at a time…

Merry Christmas, everyone within earshot (or eyeshot). Be safe and happy.

Joe

No comments: