WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Monday, June 30, 2008

MID-YEAR REALITY CHECK...

I saw the suggestion on one of the writers’ Websites I subscribe to that folks should check their 2008 goals and see how well they’re doing. It is a good idea. We are halfway through the year now, and a reality check is definitely in order. (Had to check the original blog to see what was on the list.) Here’s where we’re at:

RECORD THE NEW CD. 8 of 13 songs recorded thus far. Remaining five were going to be done in July, but it may be later. Having CDs to sell by Christmas is still possible.
PUBLISHING COMPANY. Have the information, I think—just waiting on the money to file the papers. Need this, because Skip wants me to be his publisher for the song of his that’ll be on the CD.

WORK WITH A PERFORMING BAND. I did that with Screamin’ Gulch in Medford, but it ended when I moved. I also assembled an impromptu band of good musicians available to do gigs, and used them. Depending on where I’m living, I may have to repeat it all over again.

PERFORM AT “MOOGRASS,” FOSSIL, GRASSROOTS, & NESKOWIN HARVEST FESTIVAL. Moograss was cancelled; Fossil and Grassroots are out because of gas costs. Neskowin is not until fall. I do have two performances in southern Oregon (Central Point) in August.

ATTEND PINEYFEST. Pineyfest was cancelled this year, too (I couldn’t afford to go to Nashville anyway). Maybe next year.

ENTER TWO SONG CONTESTS. I did American Idol and the “Star of Stars” thing in Medford. I didn’t win either one, and I would like to win one, so I may enter more if I can afford it.

CD RELEASE PARTY. Can’t happen until the CDs are done. Southern Oregon would be the perfect place to do this; could couple it with a concert, and a pile of publicity.

This year’s goals were all about promotion, and not about writing; I have kept up some writing goals, however, from last year:

AN AVERAGE OF ONE GOOD SONG A MONTH. I haven’t pushed it, but it has worked out that way. I have been concerned more about QUALITY than quantity—but nearly all of the songs have been “keepers,” and that’s a pretty good track record. About the time the new CD comes out, I may have enough songs for the next one. I like working like that.

AN ALBUM’S WORTH OF CO-WRITES. Three more in the last few months, two with Beth Williams (“Syllables for Sale” and “Bad Sock, Good Sock”) and one with Rev. Skip Johnson, “Tune the Strings of My Soul.” That makes 12 (nine different collaborators), but it’s not an album because there’s no common theme—the songs run the gamut from deeply religious (“Tune the Strings of My Soul”) to outright R-rated (“Sheep Are Real Good, Too”). Maybe the best I can hope for is to turn them all into decent demos the authors can shop around.

And in the things-I-didn’t-count-on category, I have a VIDEO camera (which I still don’t know how to use), and some advice on putting together a WEBSITE—both probably necessities for a writer-musician in the Modern World.

So are we on track? Maybe. It has definitely helped to be unemployed, because it’s given me more time (if less money) to devote to music. (I knew there was a silver lining somewhere. Now if there was just the money for gas...)

Joe

No comments: