WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

READY TO GO...

Like Joni Mitchell once said (in a song), “All my bags are packed, and I’m ready to go.” Only item not packed and waiting by the door is the Tascam; first thing tomorrow, I pick up the CD with the Failed Economy Show songs from John, listen to them, pick one and copy it to the Tascam to take to southern Oregon. I have, I think, everything else. Cell phone’s on the charger; cookies are baked and cooling. Even the alarm clock is packed.

En route, I’ll stop by a computer repair place I’d phoned and get to pick up (I hope) a power cable for daughter Kimberly’s old laptop, which will be making the trip with me. At Myrtle Point City hall, I’ll pick up a copy of their budget, ordinance book, and comprehensive plan—light reading before bed. Saturday I get to spend the whole day in a suit, being interviewed and inspected for the city manager job. I’ll spend Friday and Saturday nights in a motel in Myrtle Point, then Sunday and Monday nights with George in Central Point, I get to play music at the Wild Goose Sunday night, practice with Darrin (harmonica) on Sunday and Dan (mandolin) on Monday, and also on Sunday, record guitar tracks for Scott Garriott’s album. It’ll be a full trip, both from the job end and the music end.

And a long trip in the car—first one in months. Is that a chance to finish a song? I do get my best writing work done on long trips.

Another gig (unpaid, of course): got called by the lady doing booking for nearby Rockaway Beach’s 100th anniversary celebration; she said she’d been told, “You have GOT to get these guys” (meaning our band), and you can’t refuse an invitation like that. Dick and I will do it; Rockaway’s new City Hall is a nice place, but small—ideal for an acoustic duo. An hour, nearly all of it my stuff:

Duct Tape (mod. fast country)
Tillamook Railroad Blues (deliberate blues, D)
Bluebird on My Windshield (fast bluegrass)
Armadillo on the Interstate (slow & sleazy)
Hey, Little Chicken (mod. fast sorta blues)
I May Write You from Jupiter (fast bluegrass)
Ain’t Got No Home (mod. slow country)
Welcome to Hebo Waltz (mod. fast waltz)
Doing Battle with the Lawn (fast bluegrass)
Eatin’ Cornflakes from a Hubcap Blues (slow & sleazy)
Milepost 43 (mod. fast country)
I’m Giving Mom a Dead Dog for Christmas (mod. slow country)

11 by me, one by Woody Guthrie. (I want to be able to say “This goes out to all the homeless people out there.” Never had the chance to say that in public.) I might substitute “Leavin’ It to Beaver” (an old song, off the first album) for “Doing Battle with the Lawn.” A nostalgic song would be appropriate for a centennial celebration, and “Beaver” would work well. The song has an awful lot of words, and moves very fast—I’ll have to practice my breathing to make sure I can do it. It’s also a long song (over 6 minutes), so we could end up running a little overtime.

And then also in July, I’ve got the RVTV taping in Ashland Saturday, 18 July, and Garibaldi Days on 25 July. Auditions for the Talent Show at Garibaldi Days will be Thursday, 9 July, and I want to be in that, too.

I am glad I got so much sleep when I had the time…

Joe

No comments: