WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

A COUPLE OF OPPORTUNITIES...

A couple of opportunities this week.
A NEW PROJECT–FOR A RECORD? Heard from a music publisher I’m on the mailing list of, who’s putting out another "theme" album (her usual business is placing songs in movies and TV shows, but she has done a few "theme" albums)–this one of traditional (i.e., public domain) Gospel songs. Not having enough stuff currently in the "catalog," she announced an impromptu "contest" to the mailing list. "Winners" get to be on the record. I e-mailed her four suggestions–all fairly obscure Gospel songs–and had her pick one.
I told her I didn’t want to record this alone–Gospel songs are supposed to be "congregational." The "congregation" will have to be the Friday Night Group, or rather part of them–can’t record the whole group live, because the Group’s sound system doesn’t have a "line out" interface to plug into my Tascam.
I did run into a fellow in a nearby town with a home recording studio; got his name from the owner of the local music store. He says it’s a hobby–but I may end up with business for him anyway. I’ll check out his space and equipment next week. In the meantime, I’ve tapped the bass player, one of the lead guitarists, and one of the fiddlers from the Group, two singers from the audience and two from the Group (one is the flddler); they’re all agreeable–and also agree we need to practice.
PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION? No, it wasn’t my idea–though on someone’s suggestion, I did e-mail PHC about a month ago, telling them I’d follow up with a letter (which I just did), asking if I could send them one of my CDs. Ken Finton over on the Soundclick Seniors Board is mounting a "fan" campaign to pressure PHC into having me on the show. Don’t know if it’ll do any good, but it sure is worth a shot, and I’m not going to discourage it.
I’ve accordingly posted my song "Duct Tape" on Soundclick (the Duct Tape Council is one of the "sponsors" of the Prairie Home Companion show), and would be remiss if I didn’t include here PHC’s address and edress, which are:
Garrison Keillor
PRAIRIE HOME PRODUCTIONS
611 Frontenac Place
St. Paul, MN 55104
And now, I guess, we’ll get to see how many (if any) people watch this space. Hey, do contact ‘em, everybody–it may help, and it can’t hurt.

No comments: