WELCOME...

This blog is the outgrowth of a songwriting workshop I conducted at the 2006 "Moograss" Bluegrass Festival in Tillamook, Oregon. It presumes that after 30-odd years of writing and playing music, I might have something to contribute that others might take advantage of. If not, it may be at least a record of an entertaining journey, and a list of mistakes others may be able to avoid repeating. This blog is intended to be updated weekly. In addition to discussions about WRITING, it will discuss PROMOTION--perhaps the biggest challenge for a writer today--as well as provide UPDATES on continuing PROJECTS, dates and venues for CONCERTS as they happen, how and where to get THE LATEST CD, the LINKS to sites where LATEST SONGS are posted, and a way to E-MAIL ME if you've a mind to. Not all these features will show up right away. Like songwriting itself, this is a work in progress. What isn't here now will be here eventually. Thank you for your interest and your support.

Saturday, March 3, 2007

JOB HUNTING...

That I was interviewed for a new job this week is not news. What I did in the course of checking out the new job probably is. I checked online to see if (1) there was a commerical recording studio in the area, (2) there were open mikes, (3) there was an organized group of local musicians, and (4) if there was a Live Music Scene. Music has become an important sideline, and if that cultural infrastructure didn't exist, I'd find myself wanting to create it.

The good news is it's a culturally active area; besides a fairly well-known Shakespeare Festival (in a nearby town with the college), there's a classical music festival in another town and an annual Spam Festival (yes!) In a third. I found (1) one recording studio that advertises on line (and a musician friend of mine in the area told me there are several more), (2) an active songwriters' association that (3) appears to hold 1-3 open mikes a month, in various venues, and (4) reportedly one of the music stores is trying to set up weekly concerts with various local musicians (the Baker City Opry started that was over in Eastern Oregon–they moved to a bigger hall when they outgrew the music store).

Bottom line? I could live there. Now I just need the job...

UPDATES:

"TURN YOUR RADIO ON": A fellow in the next town (5 miles away) has two bedrooms in his house set up as a recording studio, and has done some work for others; one room is the Recording Space, the other a control room, both pretty small (bedrooms are not large these days). He has really good equipment; I don't know if he knows how to use it, but we're going to find out–I recorded a reference track for the song (lead vocal and rhythm guitar), and will pass it on to the Friday Night Group members involved in the project, and then we'll bring ‘em in and "layer" the various parts–bass, lead guitar, fiddle, and vocals. He's willing to do it for free. (Brought CDs of the ref track by last night's gig, too, for the Group members.)

If the results are good, I will probably have some paying work for him–an album of songs by the Friday Night Group (I've been talking up the idea of a benefit for NKN High School's music program), and maybe one for me, too (I have that whole album of love songs, remember).

PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION: Alas, nothing. I recall I got the same response when I tried to pitch the "Duct Tape" song to PBS' Red Green Show a few years back–dead, I-wonder-if-they-even-have-mail-service-over-there silence. At least when you apply for city-manager jobs, you get rejection letters...

No comments: